Welcome! You've stumbled upon the page of an almost-nineteen year old that's currently undergoing one of her "Who Am I? What Am I Doing Here?" phases. She also happens to have a huge love for words, bright pictures and music, and constantly craves sweet, iced tea drinks. Buy her a cuppa, perhaps?
refresh? || email || facebook


Sunday, June 18, 2006 @ 5:12 PM
An Essay For My Father..

The Person Whom I Admire Greatly.

A person whom I really admire greatly is my father, Loo Eng Qui. He is a tall, dashing, broad-shouldered, light-skinned man, and has a slightly protruding belly, thanks to his undying love for cheesecake, my mother's chicken curry and a good, homemade mug of English tea.

As a child, I remember him reading me bedtime stories, picking me up and dusting me off when I fell down and teaching me how to count to a hundred in both English and Mandarin. He would also protect me from my mother's nagging when I did not put away my crayons or my building blocks whenever I was done with them. I wasn't spoilt though. Whenever I was naughty or whenever I refused to go to sleep, he would brandish the rotan in front of him like a Roman warrior with a sword, and I would instantly obey, becoming the good girl he had moulded me into.

My father is a very strong-willed man. He may not have muscles or rock-hard abs, but his will to carry on is astounding. My father had suffered several losses in his business, and family problems like the death of my uncle, his beloved brother, due to leukaemia, which shocked us all and left us speechless. He had kept his cool, and carried on with the funeral processions. Deep down, I knew he was yearning, and pining for his brother, but he had to stay strong for all of us, and he comforted us.

Recently, he suffered from a coronary heart disease. His arteries were ninety-five percenet blocked, and according to the doctor, if he did not undergo bypass surgery soon, there wouldn't be long for him to live. We were worried, since it was a major surgery. He assured us that he would be fine, and told us to stay strong. We knew he was scared, because he looked at us for the longest time before he was wheeled into the operating theatre.

When we went to visit him in the Coronary Intensive Care Unit a day ofter his operation, it pained me to see him so weak, lying in there motionless, and I could not take it. I broke down. To our astonishment, he was up and running in a week. The doctor was speechless, and told us that no patient of his had ever recovered so quickly before. His appetite returned three days after the operation - he demanded to eat a cheesecake instead of low-fat yoghurt for dessert.

Now he is happy, healthy, fit and content, and is back to his normal strength again. He can eat what he wants too, but under the watchful eye of me and my mother.

I admire my father for his strength, and undying courgage, and hope that I would be like him. It would make me a much better person than I am now, and I would always treasure and thank him for all he has done for me.

I love you, Dad. With all my heart.

All my love,

Winnie.